In a recent announcement, Google has revealed that websites created using Google Business Profiles will soon be turned off, with the switch set to take effect in March 2024. These basic websites, fueled by information from Business Profiles, will undergo a redirection process, leading customers to the corresponding Business Profile instead. This redirection feature will remain active until June 10, 2024.
- Domain Removal: Domains ending with business.site and negocio.site will be eliminated from the website field on Business Profiles in March. Users are urged to update their profiles to link to a new website.
- Business Profile Unaffected: Other than the removal of the website, Business Profiles will remain unaffected. Visitors attempting to access the website made with Google Business Profiles will automatically be redirected to the corresponding Business Profile.
- No Impact for Non-Users: Individuals without a website created through Google Business Profiles need not worry, as the changes discussed in this update will not affect them.
Business Profile Benefits:
The announcement also highlighted the advantages of utilizing a Business Profile:
- Business Showcase: A platform to showcase your business.
- Information Sharing: Share updates, crucial information, and links to other social platforms.
- Visual Appeal: Utilize photos to attract customers.
- Easy Contact: Allow customers to get in touch through messages or by providing contact details.
Actions After Website Turn-Off:
After the website made with Google Business Profiles is deactivated in March 2024, customers attempting to access the site will be redirected to the Business Profile. However, this redirection will only be functional until June 10, 2024. After this date, visitors will encounter a “page not found” error. Businesses looking to maintain an online presence are advised to consider creating a new website using alternative tools and updating their Business Profile with the new website address.
Creating a New Website:
For those seeking to continue having a website for their business, Google recommends using site builders such as Wix, Squarespace, GoDaddy, Google Sites, Shopify, or WordPress. It’s crucial to update the Business Profile with the new website address. Be sure to employ the expertise of a knowledgeable Website Design Company to ensure you site follows best practices and does not lose its rankings when migrating to a new host.
- Ads Campaigns: Businesses using a website made with a Google Business Profile for Ads campaigns should update their ads to link to a different website before March 1, 2024, to ensure continuity. Alternatively, campaigns can be paused.
- Third-Party Domains: Users with custom domain names forwarding traffic to the website made with Google Business Profiles should also take action. The redirect will only function until June 10, 2024. Users are advised to log in to their hosting company accounts, choose a “Redirect” option, and forward the third-party domain to a different website before the specified date.
These changes mark a shift in Google’s approach to Business Profiles and emphasize the importance of maintaining an up-to-date online presence for businesses. Users are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the necessary steps to ensure a seamless transition.