In a recent post Google has outlined the best ways to organize product information for your shoppers in order to increase your presence in the search index. With the recent inclusions of the product knowledge panel as well as the shopping tab finding products in Google is easier than ever. We are here to help you ensure your products are found by potential customers and increase your revenue.
How does Google Identify Products Online and Offline?
Product data that is able to precisely identify the products available for shoppers and ensuring that it is trusted is the most important step. Clear product identification helps Google to match products to relevant search queries. Using unique product identifiers such as Global Trade Item Number (GTIN™), Manufacturer Part Numbers (MPNs), and brand names help in this process. The best practices for using identifiers as outline by Google include:
- Uniqueness: Your products should have a unique identifier that can consistently and accurately be shared across the search index and identify a product in both the physical world and online.
- Verifiability: Identity of a product (for example, who is the manufacturer) and other product data should be verifiable through a trusted source. This allows Google to verify that product data is accurate and complete through global registries, the organizations that issued and manage the identifiers.
- Global Reach: With eCommerce making the world more connected, relying on an identification system that can be used across the ecosystem globally will help keep product identification seamless.
Google’s Tips for Brands and Manufacturers
Brands and manufacturers have the option to submit product data via Google Manufacturer Center. Within this procedure, they can also share essential product details to enable Google to establish unique product identifications. Here are some helpful tips to guarantee that the data you provide is effectively indexed by Google:
- Ensure Your Products Have GTINs: GTINs are fundamental for Google Shopping because they provide a standardized and globally recognized way to identify products. When your products have GTINs, Google can categorize and display them accurately, making it easier for potential customers to find and compare your offerings. It’s a crucial step in ensuring that your products are indexed and visible to a broader audience, ultimately improving your chances of driving sales.
- Don’t Reuse Product Identifiers: Avoiding the reuse of product identifiers is vital for maintaining data accuracy and preventing confusion in your product listings. Each product should have a unique identifier, and reusing identifiers can lead to incorrect or mixed information in search results. By using distinct identifiers for every product, you ensure that customers can find precisely what they are looking for and that your products are accurately represented in Google Shopping.
- Follow Best Practices for Product Identifiers for Custom Products: Adhering to best practices for product identifiers is particularly important for custom or non-standard products. By implementing consistent and well-defined product identifier practices, you facilitate the smooth integration of your products into Google Shopping. This involves the use of a proprietary approach such as managing products with unique Stock Keeping Unit numbers (SKUs) or Manufacturer Part Numbers (MPNs).
Tips for Retailers and 3rd Party Sellers
Google also offered tips to retailers to ensure their products are accurate on their websites and follow the general guidelines around GTIN:
- Submit High-Quality Product Data to Google: Retailers and third-party sellers benefit from submitting high-quality product data to Google as it improves the accuracy and visibility of their listings, helping potential customers make informed purchasing decisions and increasing the likelihood of successful sales. This includes submitting structured data to Google via a product feed or adding structured data to your website.
- Provide a GTIN, When GTINs Exist: For retailers and third-party sellers, providing a GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) when available is essential as it allows for precise product identification and categorization on Google Shopping. This not only enhances the discoverability of their products but also builds trust with customers who seek standardized product information.
- Use Valid and Unique GTINs: The usage of valid and unique GTINs is of paramount importance to retailers and third-party sellers, as it ensures that each product is correctly identified and avoids confusion in the marketplace. This practice fosters trust among customers and optimizes the chances of product indexing and successful sales within Google Shopping.
Tips for Online Publishers
Reviewers of products, content creators, and those that share the latest deals on products also should follow best practices as outline by Google. This allows Google to ensure the accurate information is identified and allows users to easily find your content. Google recommends:
- Use Exact Product Names: Online publishers like reviewers and content creators should use exact product names to provide precise and easily searchable information for their audience, enhancing user experience and enabling potential customers to find the products they review or discuss more easily.
- Use Structured Data: Utilizing structured data is vital for online publishers as it helps search engines understand and present their content effectively in search results. This can lead to improved visibility, click-through rates, and audience engagement, ultimately benefiting their online presence.
- Use Valid and Unique GTINs: Valid and unique GTINs are crucial for online publishers, as they help maintain product accuracy and credibility in their content. This ensures that readers and viewers can trust the information they provide, leading to more successful and trustworthy product recommendations or reviews.
Does your eCommerce store need help reaching the right customers? Want to increase your ROI today? Contact our expert E-Commerce Marketing Services company today!